DURATION : 6 HOURS
DEPARTURE : IZMIR PORT OR HOTEL
VISITING : THE HOUSE OF VIRGIN MARY , EPHESUS AND TEMPLE OF ARTEMIS
Highlights of the accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple of Artemis from Izmir
- Entrance to Ephesus will be through the lower gate.
- Enjoy the panoramic view of the upper part of the ruins of Ephesus, where the Odeon theater is located.
- See the Temple of Atemis, one of the Wonders of the World.
- Wander around the excavated lower section where you will find the famous Celsus Library.
- Virgin Mary’s house will be visited.
- Spend free time by shopping in Kuşadası.
Description of the accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple Of Artemis from Izmir
After meeting with your guide at İZMİR Port or hotel. We will drive to Ephesus-Selcuk about 1 hour . You will enter Ephesus, perhaps the best preserved ancient city of the region, through the lower gate.
Wander through the carefully excavated ruins of this World Heritage site, and you will see magnificent structures one after another.
You will have the opportunity to photograph the great Theater with a capacity of 25,000 spectators, where St. Paul preached the Gospel. So you can imagine the stage full of people where important events take place and performances are held.
Another place and attractions you will visit are the Trajan Fountain with its magnificent statue of the emperor, and the Library of Celsus, a very important monument built as a mausoleum with a separate library for scrolls and codexes.
A column of the Temple of Artemis, one of the Wonders of the Ancient World, awaits you in the area where it is located. The first temple of its size, built entirely of marble, is considerably larger than the Parthenon.
Roman writer, philosopher and military commander Pliny the Elder also wrote about his measurements and furniture. There is also a lot of information available about the temple.
In a nearby nature park you will find the House of the Virgin Mary. Inside the small stone structure believed to be the last residence of the Virgin Mary, there is a bedroom, a kitchen and a place consisting of an altar decorated with depictions of the Virgin Mary.
Although archaeologists date the building to the 6th century, its foundations belong to the 1st century, that is, to the period of the Virgin Mary.
After we will visit house of virgin mary we will drive about 15 minutes to Temple of Artemis. The temple of Artemis at Ephesus was a large stone temple constructed around 550 BCE.
The temple of Artemis at Ephesus was destroyed on July 21, 356 BCE in an act of arson committed by Herostratus. According to the story, his motivation was fame at any cost.
The Ephesians, outraged, announced that Herostratus’ name never be recorded. The Greek historian Strabo later said and noted the name, which is how we know today.
The temple was destroyed on the same night that Alexander the Great was born. The Alexander the great, as king, offered to pay to rebuild the temple, but his offer was deniedby then. After Alexander the great was died, the temple was rebuilt in 323 BCE.
The new temple was destroyed by the Goths in 262 BCE. The temple was rebuilt again, only to collapse. During a dispute between followers of Artemis and the Apostle John.
This event causes the eventual disbanding of the cult of Artemis, and the mass conversion of the Ephesians to christianity.
After seeing temple of Artemis, we will finish our tour. At the end of the accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple Of Artemis Tour from Izmir, you will return to İzmir Port or hotel (1 hour drive back to port / hotel)
As Private Ephesus Tours we propose that you look into these itineraries;
- Accessible Ephesus, Ephesus Museum with less walking from Izmir
- Accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple Of Artemis from Kusadasi
- Wheelchair accessible panoramic Ephesus Tour
Accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple Of Artemis Tour from Izmir included
- Pick-up and drop-off service
- Wheelchair accessible vehicles
- Licensed experienced drivers
- Licensed professional guide in English or other preferred language for all sightseeing.
- Entrance fees to museums and sites according to the above itinerary
Accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple Of Artemis Tour from Izmir not included
- Gratuities to guide and driver
- Items of a personal nature
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included
To bring a camera, a sunhat, and to prefer comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended.
Prices of the accessible Ephesus Virgin Mary House & Temple of Artemis from Izmir